Wednesday, July 13, 2011

2nd Encounter with a Bee Hive after T+14 months

Yup, I was raking dried leaves this morning when I got a shock finding drips of bees falling off a branch. I usually shake the branches to get dried leaves off. This time around, parts of bee hives fell off too, about 3 feet away from me and the bees flew around and sounded angry. I quickly said sorry and stepped back. I literally did say sorry many times and maybe that's why I didn't get sting. I managed to take a couple of pictures of the hive and quickly ran into the house.


I watched them from inside and went out to look at them again like 5 mins after. They were all back onto the branch. I took a few more pictures of the hive. Notice the size is bigger instantaneously *see picture below*? It is on the Japanese Fern tree close to the slope, where my kids normally do their grass 'surfing'.

I am pretty sure they were not there last weekend. I shake the branches all the time when I clear dried leaves. I just hope I didn't scare them away.

After my first experience 14 months ago, I decided to let the hive be this time around. They can stay :) I may be able to get help to extract the honey from my pool cleaner. This hive looks slightly bigger than the first one.

I am excited! Wait till the kids see it. :)

No comments: