Thursday, September 2, 2010

My first encounter with Rafflesias




I was in Kota Kinabalu for work. I never had the time to check out KK all this while, whenever I was here. I would normally fly in and out the same day or stayed in the hotel.

This time around, I told myself I had to see at least two things : Rafflesia & the Mount Kinabalu *a climb to the peak would be nice*. After all I brought two mini me with me - Nuha and Nisa. They were supposed to study for their piano exams and I thought they should study in the hotel room. I didn't trust them studying at home without their mother.

Anyhow, we were fortunate to see twin Rafflesias at the Rafflesia Information Center, in Tambunan. It was about 1.5 hr drive from KK. The guide preferred not to take us in, saying that the flower could be dead, but after several persuasion or rather questioning, he said ok. I had to take the chance. I just got to see the Rafflesia no matter what.

So my girls and I hiked about an hour in the jungle and it was pretty slippery and steep. Then, we saw a few Rafflesia buds, and finally two Rafflesias Pricei. Small at 30cm in diameter, but lovely.

I was very proud of my girls - they hiked with me and they loved it. Didn't complain although they had to walk far during fasting month! One down, one more to go .. the Mount Kinabalu..

Again, luck was on our side when we drove up to see Mount Kinabalu. The sky was clear and we had a good time at the Kinabalu Park. Wonderful place to be at! Here's the view of Mount Kinabalu.

No comments: