Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cendawan Busut


I love mushrooms, but had never heard of Cendawan Busut untill I was at the Cyberjaya Lake Garden a couple of weeks back. I bumped into a family carrying big mushrooms in bags and leafs home. They looked like they just found some gold and claimed they were Cendawan Busut. Its scientific name is Termitomyces Albuminosus

They were kind to stop and offered some, but I was too shock to see such mushrooms and wasn't sure if they were edible. So I said no without putting much thought about it. After that, out of curiosity, my son and I cycled to the other side of the lake and started looking for the mushrooms *also hoping there were more left*. It was just so happen, there were an Indonesian couple on a motorbike going around the pathway, of course ahead of us. I believe they were workers at the Lake.

I finally found the spot, but all mushrooms were gone. The Indonesian couple on the motorbike were ahead of us and grabbed the balance. Ah - no luck for us. We only manage to get pictures of the mushroom they took!

I was told later that these mushrooms are rare and grow after lightning strikes an area. I am also assuming that it touches the ground. I was also told that they grow around busut or areas with termites. Some say they are best cooked with lemon grass. I dunno. Didn't manage to get any.

Thought it was an interesting finding. Will definitely try get some the next time I see them!

No comments: