Monday, August 30, 2010

Common Tailorbirds - the pleasantly noisy ones

Off late, I get distracted by series of loud chirping sound from the garden. Only recently, I got to discover the source - they came from a group of juvenile common tailorbirds. There were five of them - tiny and fluffy, like 5-7cm in width, but very loud and non-stop when they start chirping.

It is difficult to take their pictures as they are tiny, fast moving and they hop around Eugenia shrubs. They are the cutest bird I have ever seen @home. Truly kepoh and elusive!

With the help from Dr. Naim Yunus, I got to know their species. It is not easy to identify the name of a bird. I have been considering to get a book on birds as researching bird name online is not an easy task!

Here's one of them on my frangipani tree : It has yellow beak, white chest and light brown top. Check out the cute upright tail.

















Then she flew onto the car porch, and chirped continuously.














Here's an amateur video of the birds *pardon the background noise*. This video was taken to capture their sound - as initially we were unsure if they were tailorbirds or prinias. They wouldn't come out from the shrub!

No comments: