Thursday, March 3, 2011

Jasmine & Sunbirds after a downpour!

It rained heavily with thunder and lightning at about 4am today and I thought I was either dreaming or that God was angry at me. *Yes, that is silly me talking*

But that's not the reason why I am writing today. It is because of the wonderful scent & beauty I came back to this morning, after I sent my kids to school. When I stepped out from my car, I saw a few Jasmine flowers. Yup - Jasmine (also known as Bunga Melor). I have three Jasmine trees; one is 3 years old and the other two are about 1 year old.

I was excited to see many flowers so I quickly went into the house, grabbed a bowl, and started to pluck them. Interestingly, all three plants were blooming. The first picture is a bowl of Jasmine I collected. The picture below is the one with morning dew on it. *could be the rain drops*. The dews made the flower look lovely. *glee*

As I was happily plucking the flowers, I was alerted by three sunbirds flying right in front of my face, towards the firecracker bush. Then they quickly savour the nectar of the flower. They are a lot smaller than the ones I have seen before. Not only that, but they are also a lot faster, making it hard for me to snap their pictures.

The male didn't stay long and left the female alone to have her breakfast. She then flew and sat right on top of a stick and stayed idle. I moved closely towards her and got as close as 4 feet away. I couldn't move closer cuz I was actually scared. She was sitting still for close to 5 mins until she flew off onto the bucida tree. Then, it was time for me to go to work.

Here is the sweet female sunbird. What a great way to start my day!



No comments: