Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 4 of the 3rd Putrajaya International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta / MyBalloonFiesta

I spoke too soon last night. Enough of balloons I said and this morning, they flew and landed right into our neighborhood. I was preparing breakfast when I saw the balloons flying from Precinct 2 towards Perdana Lakeview. It was about 8am. By the time I stepped outside of the house, two balloons already landed northwest.

Trailing right behind them were Doraemon and the Cat balloons.

Then came more balloons, including Woodrow, the Amazon Rainforest theme balloon - promoting ecological conservation. If I read the card correctly, Malaysia is the 8th country it has flown in, after US, NZ, AUS, CA, JAPAN, China, and Thailand.

Qib had the privelege to sit in Woodrow's basket together with the balloon owner and pilot, Gary Moore from Arizona.

We went back home as kids had to get ready for their 'mengaji' class at 830am. Not long after that, I saw Darth Vader balloon coming towards us. Unlike the other balloons, Darth Vader traveled a lot slower.

It invaded us at 852am after a 40 mins ride.

We had the privilege to meet the pilot, Frank Wechter from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and owner, Benoit Lambert from Belgium. Fun facts - the balloon is 300kg and 26 meters tall.

That's Frank, manuevering balloon towards the road, away from the soggy field. Benoit and the rest of the crew came a few minutes later to pack the balloon. I helped a bit, keeping the balloon down and pushing the basket to the road.

The power of the sun on Darth Vader.... and half face deflated.

Darth Vader got pulled on the ground.

All balloons landed by 915am, so we walked back home after that. There were at least 9 balloons landed at Perdana Lakeview East this morning. The last to land was the Clown Balloon.

The kids we were fortunate to get a few cards from the balloon owners and pilots; Woodrow, DarthVader and Too Much Stuff (Frank's balloon).

Here's the card from Benoit, the owner of Darth Vader's balloon!

You get to learn about the balloons when you talk to the owner and pilot - beyond balloon's ecstatic values.

It would be nice to have innovative or scientific type of activities during myballoonfiesta in the future; like design and make your own balloon, how to fly the balloon etc..

2 comments:

zie_naz said...

nice one. Kids sure enjoyed it very much. I'm looking after chicken pox kid now :] This remind me in San Diego, sometimes hot air balloon landed on highways! but they all take it easy, just traffic jam it caused, people are still relax and cool :-)

hafez said...

hmm miss lagi...but then again...malas gila gi tempat banyak crowd